There has been an increase in popularity in elopements in 2020 due in large part to the pandemic, and the popularity doesn’t seem to be dying down going forward into 2021. While the concept of an elopement is simplistic, much like a traditional wedding there is still a planning process that goes behind it. We have a few key things that you will want to keep in mind when planning your dream elopement.
- Location is the most important part of an elopement. You’re going to want to pick a location that is special for you and your partner whether it be for sentimental purposes or aesthetics.
- Research weather conditions, because nothing would be worse than planning an elopement and then to arrive and find out its rain season.
- Travel accommodations, make sure to book a hotel for pre or post elopement celebrations.
- Some locations we would recommend for a dreamy location would be; Jasper, Banff, Pyramid Lake Resort, Canmore, The Little Church in Drum Heller, Obsidian Ridge, Whitewood Barn, Pioneers Cabin, and Rutherford house.
- We recommend booking a photographer who specializes in elopements, they can be helpful with knowing good location spots as they have done it before.
- Videographers will capture your big day as well, so you’ll be able to watch it back with loved ones who weren’t at your big day.
- Planning an elopement to a potential foreign place on top of many other small things you have to take into account and can become overwhelming. A wedding planner can help ease the stress by taking care of those things for you, they can also keep you on schedule on your big day.
- Make sure to have a glam squad on hand, salons such as Bliss & Glow Artistry happen to offer Elopement services. And if you chose to do your own hair and makeup make sure to practice. Platforms such as Pinterest, Tik Tok, and YouTube have many tutorials that are easy to follow along.
- When eloping that can mean you potentially have some extra money to splurge on other things… perhaps the dress of your dreams?
- Comfy shoes are a must, if you chose the mountains as an elopement destination chances are you are going to be doing a lot of walking. A pair of hiking boots with some funky wedding socks would be the shoe wear option, and who’s to say can’t change into some heels once you arrive at your destination.
- When choosing flowers for an elopement there are a few things to consider. The weather conditions and how long the flowers will be outside for; these are things that should be discussed with your florist prior so they are able to make arrangements to keep your bouquet looking fresh all day.
- Layers, the mountains can get rather chilly so make sure to pack a sweater.
Day of Essentials
- Your marriage license you will definitely need. Keep in mind that some marriage licenses require there to be a witness and a proper officiant. It’s as well smart to have other important legal documents on hand because you never know if you may need them.
- The rings, these are a must
- If you chose to write your vows make sure they are on hand in case, they aren’t already ingrained in your brain from going over them over and over.
- A makeup bag so you are able to do touchups throughout the day. Some essentials to have packed are lipstick, hairspray, extra tissues, deodorant, and bobby pins to name a few.
- PPE, we’re currently still in a pandemic so make sure to have on hand masks, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, and whatever else you may feel that you need.
We hope this list had some helpful tips for what you’ll need for an elopement. Remember elopements have no rules, so you make all the calls on how your special day is going to look.